Saturday, June 27, 2009

Shhhhhh...

What a week, huh? Starting with the sad, but not unexpected, announcement of Jon and Kate's breakup. Then the passing of first Ed, and then Farrah and Michael, and on the same day no less. I have to say that the coverage of Michael Jackson's passing has become somewhat redundant, don't you think? I mean, so much for Iran and the citizen's fight for democracy. Do I care that Michael is $4 million in debt? No. Do I really care about the custody fight that all the major cable news sites are insisting is going to happen? No. Do I really care what he died from? Isn't it kind of obvious? Do I really want to listen to everyone and their cousin's opinion on the who, where, why, and what of Michael? No. And don't even get me started on how all the sites just shoved Farrah aside, especially Larry King who, I would have thought, would have had more integrity.

Such a brave soul, Farrah. And she was so worried her life wouldn't have a purpose. I think her special had a profound effect on many, many people. And my heart goes out to her dad and family, and Ryan, Redmond, and Alana.

Now for my confession:

I am a reality show junkie. There, I've said it. It started with "Survivor", but I only watched the first 2 seasons. Then I got kind of busy with work so I wasn't watching much of anything. But then, I got a TV in my room . . . and that, as they say, was the start of it all. It started with "Deadliest Catch", which I watched with the Ol' Salt. That is about as real as a show gets. And I know that from experience - I was a commercial fisherman (yep, women are called fishermen right along with the men) fishing for grouper and tile fish in the Gulf of Mexico. Not exactly the bad ass waters of the Bering Sea for sure, but there were a couple of hairy moments with some rough weather. We watched that show each week in amazement - of the height of the waves crashing over the bow, to the amount of ice build-up over everything. Brrrrrr!!! There was a big contrast between the "fake" reality show (Survivor) and the "real" reality show (Deadliest Catch).

Then, when I got my own TV, and it was downhill from there. I was still respectible when I started watching the cooking contests - "Top Chef" and the Food Network's "Next Food Network Star". Even though on both shows the food was mostly out of my little box. I did learn what a meuniére, tapenade, duglere, and lyonnaise meant (look them up, you'll remember them better!). Then I caught up in Jon and Kate, and a great show "Little People, Big World". What amazing people Matt and Amy are. And I always get a kick out of seeing how messy her house is - now that's reality. But it slowly started spiraling downward from there.

I now find myself watching - prepare yourselves - Kendra and Denise. Not the Kardasians though . . . I haven't gotten that low, yet. All the music/talent shows are holding some kind of attraction for me. "Can You Duet", "America's Got Talent" (sometimes, and besides, where else could you see a man turn his feet around 180 degrees and walk around I ask you), and even "American Idol" (but with the sound down real low so no one can hear but me)! Thank goodness the Ol' Salt is going deaf!! Oh, yes, and the Tyra Banks "America's Next Top Model", but just the reruns of past seasons (as if that makes my addiction any less humiliating).

Oh, oh, and the new one just starting tonight - "Dance Your Ass Off" - I'm so excited!! Help me, please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Although, I do get alot of knitting done!

This is what Dixie thinks of the shows I watch!



Take care. K (aka Mad Beach Woman)





No comments: